24.12.10

happy christmas





I bought this tiny little copy of A Child's Christmas in Wales for my husband who was born and brought up in the Welsh valleys. It was published in the 60's and has charming woodcut illustrations by Ellen Raskin.
This poetic description of a child's Christmas is best read in a Welsh accent which he can muster very well after a few seasonal sherries. To the evocative descriptions of front parlours, snowy landscapes and presents, useful and useless he would add fond memories of the smell of his mam's festive cooking, she really knew how to punish a brussel sprout. Dear Marian, we will all miss you this Christmas.

I am now off to drink sherry, decide which end of the turkey to stuff and wish a Happy Christmas and thank-you to every one of my blog readers x

2 comments:

  1. Didn't know about this illustrator, but I love these beautiful drawings!
    I wish you a Happy New Year full of new patterns, cushions and other Ginger&Roddy wonderful new stuff, to dream on...

    A Warm Hug to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you all in my best Welsh accent!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails